3/31/11

Rainy Day Chicken and Dumplings

I've NEVER made chicken and dumplings... that is... until today!  Aaaaaaand... if I do say so myself, I did a pretty good job ;-)

Before I share the recipe with you, I want to share this little tip with you.  My Addison isn't a huge fan of eating her veggies (we drink plenty of V8 splash/fusion).  So, in an effort to excite her about them, I had her come help me wash and 'cut' (she used a butter knife and pretty much just pretended... but LOVED it) the veggies... be sure to read on and hear how my 'plan' went.





So, I pulled from a few recipes and added some of my own stuff.  Here's what I came up with:

INGREDIENTS:



  • Chicken thighs (I got ones with bone and skin... and just took the skin off... saved like $3.00)
  • Chicken broth
  • 2 Bisquick (yes I cheated... there are recipes for using flour and whatnot...but yeah, whatever)
  • 2/3 cups of Milk
  • Celery
  • Carrots
  • 2 cans of cream of chicken soup
  • 1 can of cream of celery soup
  • salt and pepper
There's something so pretty
about fresh veggies...


DIRECTIONS:
    1.  (If you bought bone-in skin-on chicken, take the skin off!)  Put the chicken in a pot and put in enough water to cover the chicken.  Boil on high for 20-25mins.
    2.  While the chicken is cooking, wash and cut the vegetables.
    3.  When the chicken is done cooking, pour the water into a measuring cup...save about 3 cups and dump the rest.  Set the chicken out to cool. 
    4.  Put the cans of soup, the saved water, veggies, and salt and pepper (season how you like it) back into the pot on med heat.
    5.  Once the chicken has cooled, cut or tear it off the bone and add it to the pot continue heating on med heat.
    6.  Pour the chicken broth (I used 2 cans) in a separate pot and bring it to a boil.
    7.  Mix 2 cups of Bisquick with 2/3 cup milk.  Drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the boiling broth.  Boil uncovered for 10 minutes.  Then, reduce heat and cover and let cook for 10 more minutes.
    8.  Add the dumplings to the chicken mixture, and simmer for another 5-10mins. or so.



    So... that's it.  It was my first time... and it was GOOD!  Aaaaaaand... Addison ATE IT!  Now, the child hasn't eaten carrots... well, ever I think.  I reminded her of the washing and 'cutting' and she was excited to taste the dinner 'she cooked'!  :-)

    Mom-1... Addison-0 muahahaha

    4 comments:

    1. This looks fantastic! I may have to make a run up to the store to get the cans of soup and try this out today! Yum! I did this for dinner last night:

      http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000000491634

      I used 5 spice instead of the spices they called for and added a tsp of soy sauce. Fan-frikin-tastic! You let the sauce boil down around the pork chops at the end and when the water evaporates you're left with this sweet glaze over the chops! I told Kaley it was "candy pigs" and she ate ALL OF IT. Lol

      *Tip: If you want tender porkchops marinade in this brine for at least an hour before hand. 3/4 cup salt, 6 tbsp sugar, in 3 quarts water. Put chops in mixture in a ziplock bag and keep in fridge until you're ready to cook 'em.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I can totally vouch for the chicken and dumplings recipe! Katie was kind enough to have some waiting for last night! YUMMY!! I like the pepper you put in it also Katie!

      ReplyDelete
    3. mm mm good! Sounds great and LOVE seeing that sweet girl involved. Anyone can cook from a recipe but making it fit your childs needs and involving her is not only training her and teaching her a goodwork ethic but its also getting her to do what you want her to without the tears and drama. You are such a great mommy! I'm so proud of you and that you come up with all of this on your own! You're SOOOOOOOOO CREATIVE!!!

      ReplyDelete
    4. That sounds so good!!! That was such a good way to encourage your child to eat it too! FYI... if you ever want to branch out, Publix carries frozen dumpings, "Mary Nell's Dumpings" in the international frozen section (at my store anyway). They are amazing. They might be at other stores too I don't know. My "made from scratch" grandmother recommended it, which says alot!

      ReplyDelete